The Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show is America’s oldest and most prestigious dog show, dating back to 1877. This annual event draws dog lovers from all over the world to see some of the finest furry competitors vying for top honors. But did you know that there’s a lot more to becoming a judge at Westminster than just being a big fan of dogs? The judging panel for this year’s event has just been announced, and we’ve got all the scoop on who cut. Read on to find out more about the 2023 Westminster Dog Show Judging Panel!
What is the Westminster Judging Panel?
The judging panel for the 2023 Westminster Dog Show consists of 30 esteemed canine experts from around the world. The panel is comprised of breeders, trainers, veterinarians, and professional handlers who each have an impressive history with dogs. To be considered for a position on the judging panel, applicants must possess in-depth knowledge of specific breeds and be able to recognize subtle differences in the appearance and behavior of dogs. Each judge must be certified by either the American Kennel Club or in some cases, an international organization. The panel is then chosen based on their expertise in their respective breeds and years of experience judging dog shows.
Who are the best Dog Experts in Judging?
The 2023 Westminster Dog Show Judging Panel is composed of some of the most renowned dog experts, including:
- Dr. Al Gentry – AKC Judge Emeritus and veterinarian
- Debra Thornton – professional handler and breeder with over 25 years of experience
- Barbara Handelman – breeder, owner, and professional handler of numerous group, specialty, and best-in-show winners
- Kenneth Armstrong – breeder and professional handler of over 350 AKC champions
- Nancy Simmons – AKC judge with over 40 years of experience judging shows
- Dr. Robert Schulman – veterinarian and renowned expert on genetics and breed standards
- David Frei – longtime Westminster commentator, author
Who is Judging Westminster 2023?
The judging panel for the 2023 Westminster Dog Show consists of seven esteemed professionals. They are:
- Dr. Robert L. Engh, DVM: Dr. Engh is a highly respected veterinarian and breeder who has been involved in the sport of purebred dogs since 1963 and has been judged at major kennel clubs across the country.
- Mr. Charles H. Trotter, Jr.: An accomplished all-breed judge, Mr. Trotter has judged at many of the world’s top shows and is a licensed AKC judge since 1985. He is also the president of the Minnesota State Kennel Club and chairperson of the American Kennel Club’s Judges Education Committee.
- Ms. Deborah S. Smith: A well-known author and expert on the history, structure, and function of the canine show world, Ms. Smith has judged all-breed events throughout the United States since 1990.
Some Other Westminster Judge’s Name List
- Mr. Michael Krolewski: An AKC judge who has been in the sport for over 30 years, Mr. Krolewski is a highly respected judge of many different breeds and has served on the board of the American Kennel Club Judges Education Committee since 2004.
- Mrs. Laura King: A breeder, exhibitor, and judge since 1994, Mrs. King is currently an AKC judge and has been judged at many of the world’s top dog shows.
- Mr. Matt Stelter: An AKC judge since 2002, Mr. Stelter has judged extensively all over the United States and Canada, as well as abroad in Russia, China, Korea, Australia, Thailand, Japan, and Peru.
- Dr. Elizabeth G. Walker, DVM: A former AKC judge and show chairperson who has judged all over the world, Dr. Walker is a highly respected veterinarian and breeder who has been involved in dogs since 1984.
These seven professionals will be judging the 2023 Westminster Dog Show to determine which of the esteemed competitors will take home the coveted Best in Show award. Be sure to tune into the event on February 15th to see who wins!
How to Judge Westminster Dog Show 2023?
Judging the Westminster Dog Show is a highly sought-after and prestigious honor. To be invited to judge the show, professionals must first meet qualifications set by the American Kennel Club (AKC). This includes having extensive knowledge of canine anatomy, and breed standards, as well as a deep passion for dogs in general.
Once invited, the judges gather at the show to evaluate all of the canine competitors. They take into account qualities such as how well each dog conforms to its breed standard, movement and gait, temperament, overall condition, and more. All seven judges then come together to decide on which dogs are worthy of Best in Show honors.
What Qualifications Need to be a Judge at Westminster?
To be invited to judge the show, professionals must first meet qualifications set by the American Kennel Club (AKC). This includes having extensive knowledge of canine anatomy, and breed standards, as well as a deep passion for dogs in general. Judges must also be able to evaluate the dogs fairly, objectively, and independently. Additionally, judges must adhere to the AKC Code of Sportsmanship and be familiar with all current regulations of the sport. Finally, it is preferred that invited judges have experience judging at other events or breeds before Westminster.
FAQ About Westminster Show Judging Panel
Who judged the Westminster dog show?
The judging panel for the 2023 Westminster Dog Show consists of seven esteemed professionals. They are: Dr. Robert L. Engh, DVM, Mr. Charles H. Trotter, Jr., Ms. Deborah S. Smith, Mr. Michael Krolewski, Mrs. Laura King, Mr. Matt Stelter and
How many judges are on the Westminster dog show?
The judging panel for the 2023 Westminster Dog Show consists of seven judges. They are Dr. Robert L. Engh, DVM, Mr. Charles H. Trotter, Jr., Ms. Deborah S. Smith, Mr. Michael Krolewski, Mrs. Laura King, Mr. Matt Stelter, Dr. Elizabeth, and so many others.
What factors do judges consider when evaluating the dogs?
The judges at Westminster take into account various factors when evaluating each of the canine competitors. This includes how well each dog conforms to its breed standard, movement and gait, temperament, overall condition, and more. Other considerations can include the presence of any physical abnormalities or disqualifications according to AKC standards.
We hope this article has helped you learn everything you need to know about Westminster Dog Show 2023 Judging Panel. Remember to purchase your tickets in advance, and don’t forget to tune into the live stream if you can’t make it! Thanks for reading, and we’ll see you at Westminster Dog Show!